Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Motoring diary of a pauper - Scenic I

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th December 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Motoring diary of a pauper - Scenic I

Hi there,

I think I'd like to take this opportunity to share with everyone my experience of owning and maintaining a mk1 Scenic.
Hopefully I can build this post into a repository of practical advice to be shared and maybe entice some other people into assisting me with thier own advice.

First off let me explain my situation...
I have myself a woman and 2 kids. We needed a decent sized family car and being somewhat finacially challenged the only thing I could find cheap enough at the time was a 99 Scenic (she liked the look of it... I never should have listened to her)
So I have myself a 1.6RT.

What a pain in the it has been but they drive nice and touch wood I've never had anything catastrophic go wrong yet... however...

1st problem... Water in the footwells
The car I bought had been stored in a garage and was dry as a bone when I drove it away.
Left in on my driveway in the rain and I experienced indoor flooding.

After doing some reading I found out about the drainage tubes that run down the winscreen struts.
What a poor peice of design they are... The caps at the end have but a small slit to let the water out of and they are located behind the plastic wheelarch covers around the front wheels.
If you undo the 3 screws holding the covers in place behind the wheel and just pull it away you will discover a sandbox behind them. Embedded in the sandbox you will find the drainage tubes.
Scrape out the muck and squeeze the caps on the end of the tubes and the drainage problem is magically fixed... 5 minute job.
Getting the excess water out of the footwells is tricky. I resorted to drilling holes through the caps located in the storage compartments underneath the rear passengers feet. I figured holes there would always allow water to drain and the problems of rusting would be minimised by putting the holes in the drain caps.

Starter motor was jiggered too...
When I bought it it had been stood for ages so I figured the labouring starter motor was a result of flat battery.
Quickly became apparent I was wrong when it got progressivly worse over time and I resorted to bump starting. ... I love this place

Atleast the starter motor is no problem to replace... fiddly as there's litte room behind the engine but simple nonetheless, 3 bolts

Copper Grease!

You can never have too much copper grease.

This peice of advice was given to me by my mechanic friend.

Whenever you pull out a thread give it a little grease before you put it back in, saves so much hassle in the future.

Also when loosening a stubborn bolt, after you've cracked it undo for 1 turn then screw it back in. Undo it some more then screw it back in, then remove it.
This helps not to foul up the threads

Last edited by Lagdti; 18th December 2009 at 09:31 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Fat455Monk3h
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Motoring diary of a pauper - Scenic I Cars & motoring Fat455Monk3h 6 1167 18th December 2009 02:17 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome