Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Motoring diary of a pauper - Scenic I

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 22nd December 2009 Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Motoring diary of a porper - Scenic I

A rear suspension strut (shock absorber) broke on a trip to Scotland, that was a scary nightmare... limping along making alsorts of noise on the back-end.
They're a doddle to fix if you have a 12 point socket the right size and a trolley jack with enought lift on it.
50 for a brand new unit, jobs a good un.

I had this scenic for nearly a year when as the MOT due I noticed a whirring noise getting worse... Wheel bearing I thought. Alas no the drive shafts were getting worn. The CV boots had both split and I'd never noticed.
This was going to get expensive... When adding up all the little things - new shoes, an exhaust that badly needed replacing, wheel bearings, the rear brace strut was rusted, CV boots and now the half shafts. I cannot afford to fix this POS >.<


So I go looking for another car to see us by...
Why is it that the only half decently sized cars I can ever find under 1k that are not too old or have too many miles on the clock are mk1 Scenics.
While I was looking around I found myself another Scenic for 500, nearly half the price it would cost to fix my old one. I took a good look at it and it had plenty of problems but luckily everything that was wrong with this one was okay on the old one so I hatched myself a plan...
I'll get a second one and use the old for spares, can't go wrong

What a pit of hassle i've landed myself in again there.

This new one was from an auction house... No warranty whatsoever, sold as seen. LOL... In for a penny in for a pound this will be a project.

Same water drainage problem the old one had... the footwells are puddles again. No matter that's easiliy fixed as before

First Problem up... Misfiring.
Dammit I thought i'd got away with that, it ran so well when I was checking it out but when I'd bought the thing and driven it away the next time I go to start it runs like a bag-o-****
So I investigate... The last one had this problem too, I change all the usual bits, air filter, plugs, fuel filter. Stick a load of redex through it. Change the lamda sensor... nothing works.
But when I change the lamda I see the results of the problem... The exhaust is choked up with carbon.
Whoever owned this car beforehand was an absolute mechanical moron. They've had the exhaust manifold off at some point (shearing a bolt while they were at it) and putting it back on using a peice of corrugated cardboard and some exhaust putty as the gasket.
I see the ash and stuff that has squeezed out of the seal all burnt up... That must mean that all the stuff that squeezed it's way into the manifold has burnt up and ended up in the Cat. The resulting loss of airflow has caused the engine to choke on its gasses and the build-up of carbon has accumulated making the problem progressivly worse.
So I swap the good Cat off the old car and make myself one decent working exhaust out of the combined bits.
This still didn't solve the problem but it has alliviated it greatly

Last edited by Fat455Monk3h; 22nd December 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Fat455Monk3h is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome