Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio - Heating and Cooling - No heating

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 2nd July 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Cool Renault Naff Heater Systems

Hi had the same problem with my Cluio Campus 1.9D. Youve checked the fuses there okay. Next you need to check the dropper unit. To do this mark wipers positions on screen disconnect wiper arms (undo nut (13mm) on arm and pull upwards as gently as possible) note which wiper goes where (they are different sizes). Disconnect the window washer pipe above the washer bottle (passenger side) and remove the plastic plate (weatherstrip) at the bottom of the windscreen (torx screws). Undo the jack in the bulkead cavity (drivers side) and remove. Disconnect the multiplug from the wiper motor and remove the three retaining bolts (10mm) holding the the wiper assembly and edge the assembly out through the bulkhead space (it is possible!). You can now see the multiplug connected to the heater fan. Open the clips and remove. The thing we are interested in is the dropper resistor unit that the multiplug fits into. Remove the plastic guard from the heater fan by undoing the two torx screws on top. Work the shield out the way you brought the wiper motor assembly. You can now see the dropper unit with approx four pins sticking out of it. Extract it by opening the clips up on the sides of it. The unit is connected to the fan unit by a red and a black wire. By opening the clip on the end of the wires you will be able to extract this as well and the whole thing should come away. All thats left now is to inspect the unit. There should be a metal cage with two thicknesses of coiled wire running inside it and what looks like a resistor or diode running down the centre (this is in fact a fusible link). First check for continuity with a multimeter/continuity checker across each of the two coils of wire and then across the fusible link. You will probably find that the fusible link has gone.

This is a very pricy item for what it is. I was quoted 35 by Renault for a replacement dropper unit. The cost of the fusible link is about 50p! If all the items above check out then your heater fan is probably faulty. I managed to confirm the supply from the fan switch but unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't recommend a novice do it. I replaced the fusible link but again it is a complicated issue and would require someone with electronics knowledge to carry it out as the fusible link is mechanically fixed in its terminals and any attempt to solder in a new fusible link would result in the link popping the same way as the original did. I found a way round it if you need it, but I would not recommend as some people have done simply soldering a wire across the fusible link terminals, as the fusible link is a safety feature to prevent overheating of the fan unit, dropper and attatched wiring loom. This could result in your death or a future owner! Please note all of the above work should be carried out with the negative terminal of the car battery disconnected. Hope you resolve issue. :-)

Any tips,advice or guidance offered on this forum are written in good faith.The responsibility always remains with YOU. If you read a specific subject and then wish to carry out a modification,service or repair then you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited by Stannywell; 2nd July 2006 at 10:29 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome