Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2000 Megane bonnet catch stuck

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st December 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2000 Megane bonnet catch stuck

Hi, I can't open the bonnet on my Megane. The catch operated by putting my fingers under the bonnet is released, but I suspect that the one operated via the lever/cable beside the driver's seat is sticking.

I have tried wire coat hangers, screwdrivers and all sorts of other things but can't get it to move. Seen some other posts with similar problems but following their advice I still have the problem.

Firstly, I want to check that I really am trying to move the right part; so if I move the bonnet catch out of the way, the bit that seems to be caught over the 'pin' that's welded onto the bonnet is just behind it. Should I be able to move that to the left? I have sprayed a load of WD40 on it and it still wont move.

Secondly it might be easier to get at from under the car, or through the front grille. Can this be done easily? There's a big black piece of plastic directly under the bumper (called a dirt tray?). Can I safely remove that to get easier access?

I would prefer to go through the front grille (the wing shaped bits either side of the badge) but I don't know if they can be removed without opening the bonnet, can they?

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. The garage is quoting me 50 just to take a look at it!

5 Lastest Threads by gundersenr
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2000 Megane bonnet catch stuck Bodywork gundersenr 2 1774 31st December 2009 01:54 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome