Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

View Single Post
post #50 of (permalink) Old 2nd January 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

A useful thread
I have had a problem with my fan not working on position (2).
Initially I thought this would be the resistor pack failing, but after looking at how it works, it became clear that if the resistor on (2) had failed, then (1) would not work either (resistors wired in series and (1,2,3) pick additional resistors, 4 bypasses all resistors).

I firstly checked the output on the fan selection switch and found it all okay (wrt to 12v), so realised I was going to have to investigate the resistor-pack end.. Interestingly enough Renault have used two differing gauges of wire and noticed that two of the outputs are thinner wires - one of which is (2) and I believe also (probably... I didn't check) (1)...

I followed the instructions here and removed the display panel, etc. You _do need thin arms as I managed to scrape mine a lot doing this job!!

Anyway I managed to get to the connector to the resistor pack and realises it was charred and damaged on the thin yellow/white wire.
Looking at the connector on the resistor pack, that was also damaged.
For now I've just managed to push the connections together, but to d a proper job I need to take the dash apart 'properly' as unscrewing the resistor pack screw on the LHS and then unclipping (& breaking(!)) the RHS did not give me enough leeway (due to the red & white (?) wires at the top of the resistor pack not being long enough to allow this).

I believe these thinner wires on the lower fan settings are not of a sufficient diameter for the amount of current that is drawn; maybe this caused the burnout.. I'd be interested in other people's ideas on this.

I will post some pics later... if I figure out how to.
Currently in kevcal's garage:
Scenic II 1.6 Privilege 2005
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome