Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The tdc sensor .... or coils?

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 4th January 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to SamWoerth
Re: The tdc sensor .... or coils?

BlueMegane has one major coil with HT
(1/4 inch diameter) leads routing from it. However others in this thread have the alternative engines which use coils (4) - one on each cylinder/spark plug fed by two thin wires into a plug socket.

Apart from the earlier batch of Sagem coils that proved faulty, it is increasingy the case that these coils breakdown. Beit through the specification, faulty manufacture or the hellish conditions they have to operate under. Unventilated significant temperatures.

Again, mainly because of cost Renault dealers charge around 45 each, and even alternative parts are not cheap. The usual modus operandii, is to trace the faulty coil , and replace it.
One then merrily trundles or to be fair, smoothly gets on one's way, happy to be on the road again for less than a hundred quid. But experience shows that usually, within months the problem reoccurs - another coil goes down! Domino effect or life expectancy?

The best procedure is to replace all FOUR ASAP, a batch invariably these will carry a 12 month warranty.

As for costs, sadly from the vast number of reports of the failures of Renault coils , perhaps alternatives might
prove, firstly cheaper but also better made.The number of Renault owners who are paying out of these coils is an outrage. It is not as though the company do not know of the problem - yet they, Renault are changing them on warranty PLUS owners out of time, end up with costs plus inconvenience.
It's a good earner, simple, quick to sort out, then there is the 'added on' diagnostic tests.

This writer recently replaced just two, to check up on the above prediction - In less than eight weeks another original one failed. All were Renault bits.
History - not known.
Codes 4-083 & 4- 084 - same fit though

A set of new 'improved' circuitry coils are now in place
- made in China! I will not upset readers by quoting the price. Sadly only 12 months guarantee - originally
the old specification had three years. But then this new spec. needs to be tested in the field again.

As for fitting - the four at one go - Easy with care - about 40 minutes maximum including rechecking the fault codes. All you need is a socket set and some lube.

I love my Renaults, perhaps because I'm a glutton for punishment - One has learned to live & deal with
the challenges. An advanced design car, hijacked by people wanting to repair them. Or just perhaps, they like their customers to call in for a coffee repeatedly!
But why should this continue?
Currently in SamWoerth's garage:
1.6 Megane Saloon MkII 04 - previous MkI - wrote off- back ended
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome