Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #100 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

It is interesting to see that the fault I am having with my Clio is quite common. I have a 2003 Renault Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique with just over 65k miles on the clock.

Here is my story. Back in late November or early December (2009), I saw the 'diesel preheat warning light' come on for the first time, as listed in the handbook, which is that coil -type warning light mentioned. When this happened I experienced a loss of power, and just getting up to 20mph proved to be a struggle. Since it first happened it has occurred relatively regularly, although some weeks it has happened on perhaps three consecutive days, and on others the car has behaved itself and not developed the fault for close to a whole week.

Sometimes the warning light never goes out after switching on the engine, but more regularly it comes on early into my journey, as little as perhaps 15 seconds into the journey, and as much as about 2 minutes into the journey. The issue of kangaroo revving when starting up the car does not seem to be directly related to this problem, as kangaroo revving at start up has happened since I got the car 5 years ago, but the warning light/loss of power issue is a new issue.

Coil packs are unlikely to be the issue, as these failed and were replaced on my car last February and would have done no more than 12k miles. From what I can tell, reading through messages on this thread, it is the wiring loom that is causing the problem, given that people have had throttle bodies replaced but the fault not solved. I have not yet taken my car to the garage, for fear of also spending hundreds of pounds on not solving the problem.

I like my Clio, but it is always the case with Renaults it seems, that when the car reaches about 60k miles they start to fall apart quickly. It happened with my mother's old Clio, which she sold at 66k miles, and the same thing is happening with mine. At least mine has not reached the stage where it is in and out of the garage three times a month yet! They're fantastic cars to drive, and very stylish, but they just don't grow old gracefully.
Currently in SouthernClio's garage:
2003 Renault Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome