Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Aftermarket Warranty for VS - What do you reckon?

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 7th January 2010
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Warranty for VS - What do you reckon?

From my perspective, budget permitting, you should try to get the 'best' level of cover that your car's age & mileage will permit.

Some will only cover wear & tear for a certain percentage beyond a ceiling of 'use' because of one word - betterment. They will argue that a component may have a service life of 5 years/60,000 miles, and if it has lasted 4/5ths that time, then you are only eligible for a 1/5ths contribution, on the basis that you have already seen service for 4/5ths of what is expected. (that is something worth checking out, as you may be paying extra for cover which turns out to be non-existent).

A car like the VS is a very complex beast - most independents haven't ever seen one, so invariably (especially if reprogramming of the computer is involved) they get sent off to the main dealer (who in all likelihood - has never seen one either!), but labour hours can mount up, so if you are left to pay the difference, again - it can become a substantial sum.

I wouldn't want you spending so much on a warranty that you had to make sacrifices elsewhere, but do choose wisely, as some are better than others (and its not always based on price).

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome