Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #386 of (permalink) Old 8th January 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

We purchased our Scenic last January from a local garage & have been very pleased with it.However today I am devasted by what has happened to our car.Yesterday my wife used it for the shopping & today when she went to use it she found that the inside of the car had melted!

Yes after reading these forums I have discovered that we are now victims of this door mirror control fire risk problem,If only I had known before!

At the time I did not know what happened I have never come across this sort of thing before on any car.The driver's door plastic interior was melted beyond recognition,part of the dashboard melted,the front windscreen cracked in several places & all windows covered in soot,ceiling that was white is now grey,the leather seat however survived.
I am now very angry about this ,what had happened if the car had gone up in flames etc & injured or killed my family or whoever was near at the time?
Looking at the forums a recall was issued around July 2008 so why was my car not recalled? Who's responsible for this?
1)Renault:should they have contacted the previous owner? & if they did & the previous owner did nothing about it-should Renault had have contacted the new owner?
2)VOSA:Is it their responsibilty to inform Renault of new owner of the car so they can send me a letter?
3)The Garage who sold it to' me:Are they liable?would they had knowledge of it?

So I am now cheesed off as it is likely that my car will be written off but why should I pay for any of this?
Do you think Renault will do anything for me? or do you think it will done thru insurance only?

I need advise on this in the meantime see the photo's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked window.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	8999   Click image for larger version

Name:	melted dash.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	9000   Click image for larger version

Name:	melted door.jpg