Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Collected the Car. Report. Performance??

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 4th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Cybermanc
MPG was between 26 and 27.8 for the journey and I was just steady cruising at 80mph (cruise control work too ) With the air con running. Is that not a touch low??
I'd get 29-31 averaging 80-85 (indicated) on the motorway. I'd say your figures are slightly on the low side, but not to a worrying degree. Fuel economy on the IDE is pretty poor, especially considering it's supposed to have been designed to be more economical than a normal 2 litre injection engine.
Also the car seems relatively slow off the mark although it does get up to speed easy enough there is no real oomph in 2nd or 3rd to really get past things?
I'm only comparing to my ten year old 1.6TDi Astra but even that seems to be stronger in 3rd gear!!
You're not still driving it like the TDi are you? Going from a turbodiesel to a multivalve petrol engine, you have to remember to thrash it through the gears practically up to the red-line if you really want it to go. The Lag II 2.0 IDE is geared to do 60 in 2nd and close to 90 in 3rd. If you want to get the most out of it performance-wise, change from 2nd to 3rd at 60, and then 3rd to 5th once you hit your cruising speed.
Overall is there anything that may be compromising acceleration and fuel consumption (besides A/C which I turned off to see if it was that affecting the acceleration)?
I think the IDE has the sense to disengage the A/C clutch at full throttle, but don't quote me on that. Full throttle acceleration never seemed to be affected by the A/C on mine, which wasn't the story with my previous 2.0 8v RXE. I never found that the A/C made any noticeable difference to fuel economy .
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome