Independent Renault Forums banner

Changing light bulb Clio III* Fixed*

213K views 55 replies 43 participants last post by  Phil48 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just noticed one of my bulbs has blown (dipped bulb). Haven't had chance to look at it yet but does anyone know how easy they are to change, is the access ok?

Judging from a quick glance at the engine bay when I bought the car it does look rather snug.

Thanks guys :)

#2 ·
UPDATE: It was the drivers side bulb that had blown, which I have now replaced......wasn't too bad.
If you remove the filler neck of screen wash bottle you can just get on the bulbs, only downside the car has eaten half my hand in the process.

Just thought I would let you know, I was thinking it may have to go to Renault dealer.

#8 ·
Haven't had to do the nearside one yet thankfully, I did have a quick look and thought it looked easier that the one on the offside.

Wouldn't fancy having do it at the roadside in the dark though! I think it's a legal requirement in France to carry a spare set. If I got pulled over there and asked to change it, I think I would ask the rozzers to have a go or call the RAC:d

#14 ·
Hi mowgli. i've the NEW SHAPE clio 2009 but don't see how u can remove filler neck. You can remove the 'securing pin' holding the screenwash filler neck, but as the bottom is held as well, you get little or no movement to help with more room, AIR-CON PIPES ARE THE PROBLEM together with 'normal' size hands. So instead I removed the bulb cover on the PASS' side, only to DROP IT!!!!!! My problem is HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE BULB once you've got the cover off? I can see the terminal plug (have to use a mirror) do u have to turn it, push it then turn...or what? I think I might be able to do PASS' side eventually, but DRIVER'S will be a different ball-game. Help with bulb & holder would be appreciated. SOREHAND NEWBIE signing off for now.

#16 ·
Much confusion over what is the mk3 and mk3 [new shape] or on some sites, the mk4. I have the 2009 NEW SHAPE, and changing any FRONT HEADLIGHT BULB is going to be a pain in the ass!! My solution was to go to my DEALER where I brought the car from in Dec 09 and not only did they change my Headlight bulbs for my new Ring Xenon Max's, but also swopped my Air Filter over to my K&N.................WITH NO FITTING C-H-A-R-G-E ! ! ! Now thats what I call 110% Customer Service. P.S Will we ever see a Haynes Manual for the mk3/4 ??? Last one was the 55 plate I believe.

#17 ·
glad i am not the only one to experiance this. i remember at work we saw the guy take the wheel off and everything for a renault megane. i dont know what they are playing at but i know that its a lot harder to modify newer shape cars now as i have had the problem with my 57 plate clio

#18 ·
Jesus is changing a bulb really as hard as it looks on here, now bear with me cause this is gonna sound like a really stupid question but is the outside halogen bulb on the drivers side lighting actually a main beam bulb ????? it comes on as main beam on the passenger side . it will mean either my bulb isnt working or its for something else.

the car is a Clio 1.4i Dynamique on a 06 reg in the new shape.

#19 ·
I tried to change the bulb in my Clio Mk3 and the clip ended falling into the housing. Now the headlamp is held down by funny putty on the lamp seal. I will have to wait for the bumper to come off to retrieve the clip. You cannot buy the clip separately and Renault told me I have to replace the whole lamp fitting (R2500 in my currency). I absolutely love my Clio but up yours to Renault for your ¤¤¤¤ty planning and service.

#20 ·
heyy there people.. ive got a Clio GT and im only after instailing new bulbs, the best and easy way is to remove the wheels, and take off the front splash guards which are clipped on with little rubber groomits, once u have removed them, start working on the bulbs.
hope this helps Matt

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its actually quite ridiculous this. My local dealer are charging me £21.00 for the pair of bulbs, inc Vat. and £47 ex Vat to put them in.

Im contemplating putting them in myself, but having no idea is a bad idea. Ive found out the dealers have to remove the battery and the casing to get into the near side bulbs and for the far side, i doubt many have hands left. They tried going through the wheel arches, but its even move of a pain.

Renault did a good job...Not

#24 ·
Hi,

I am a woman who is determined to fix drivers side, side light and dipped main light (full beam works and dipped works on and off- but side light def gone!) with some advise, if anyone would be kind enough to help me?! Fed up with paying silly reanault dealer rates!

First of all how do I know what bulbs to buy? Then how do I know how to get the washer bottle out (literally just filled it up! Muppet!) I think I can see what to do once you can access the panel. Is it true that if you touch the bulb with your fingers it ruins the bulb or is that someone winding me up?!

Any help would be muchly appreciated!

#25 ·
How about the passenger side? I'm going through hell and the flesh of my hands trying to get to the main beam bulb. My hands aren't the biggest so this should have been a breeze.

I'm trying to get access to the F/N/S main beam headlamp bulb to replace it.
I can see, touch and take off the rubber bung, but anything further then that is a mystery. It appears I have to take the entire front of my car apart to get the light set out and I'm sure there must be an easier method...

#29 ·
Just in the middle of doing mine and its actually not too bad once you get your head around the tight space you have to work in.

If you don't have Air-Con the driver side is actually fairly easy (once you know how) to replace all the front bulbs without taking the car apart.

The Passenger side however requires tiny arms and some luck to get to them but can be done.

The main and high beams require you to grab a little rubber tab, and the back of the rubber covers and just pull to release the covers.

After that there's wires exposed.. if you feel along the wire to the bulb holder you'll come to some plastic.. you have to grip it on its long edges and just pull it gently straight back (away from the bulb into the engine bay) to release it.

After that the bulbs can just be eased out backwards.

To replace the bulbs the 'keyed' bit of the bulb points towards the sky (assuming you haven't rolled the car in anger at the stupid bulb access layout)

Then you just feel for the prongs.. and that lets you figure out which way the plastic holder goes back on.. shove it gently and itll lock into place.. then whack the cap back on and you are sorted!

For my car at least the main beams are: H7 55W (Osram's H7U as Standard), I've not checked the others but I will do if anyone wants to know (or check on Halfords website)

I'll try and upload a photo I took in order to work out the alignment and how to get the clips off if anyone thinks that would be helpful.

#32 ·
This is my first post in the renault forum so sorry if i do somthing stupid or wrong haha.

i have just replaced my front dipped beam on my clio III

the fuse had also blown and was a hell of a job to find where they were, for anyone who is interested the box is located to the right of the air filter on petrol models (not sure on diesel) it is in a black plastic box which has 2 stardrive screws holding it in. Just for common knowledge for anyone who needs to know :)

#33 ·
Apologies for the bumb but I just had a go at changing my dipped beam on a 07 Clio with cornering lights.

As far as I can gather on my model (1.4 dynamic) the dipped beam bulb is actually labelled as a cornering bulb at halfords. It is also not included in the bulb replacement kit for this model.

So after battling for 30mins and losing half my skin on my hand I ended up taking a photo (see attached). Hopefully this will be of some use to people, as you can see from the photo you need to push hard at the top of the clip and shift it to the left to release it.

Anyway I replaced the bulb and it still doesn't work! I am thinking it might be to do with the fact I removed two wires while feeling inside (one white plug one black) even tho there is only one prong on the bulb itself. I plugged the black one back in, anyone have any idea where the white one goes?

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.