Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Aftermarket Warranty for VS - What do you reckon?

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12th January 2010 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Aftermarket Warranty for VS - What do you reckon?

Hi Paul,

I guess when you were previously saying a warranty is quite essential, you meant for drivers who cover mor miles than my puny 6,000 a year - so I'm kind of glad someone's said that me getting a 1,000 warranty for such low usage is mad... as I was about to go ahead, thinking it's the right thing to do for peace of mind!

As you say, bits can be sourced from Espaces, Saabs, Nissans etc and I know from this forum that if the exhaust goes, I can get one from that place in Walsall.

I've tinkered no end with the WarrantyWise (who everyone inc you say is best) and the absolute best compromise policy I can come up with for myself is:

WarrantyWise Quote 785.01 for:

* All Mechanical, All Electrical and All Electronic Parts Covered = YES

* Failure Due To Wear and Tear (Optional) = YES

* Labour Rate 100/hour inc VAT (usually 35 so I pay a premium of course)

* Air Bag = NO (a cheaper auto electrician can do it)

* Air Con = NO (a cheaper auto electrician can do it)

* Alloy Wheels = NO (they may specify a different, cheaper wheel)

* Catalytic Converter = YES (important/expensive on a VS)

* MOT Failure = YES (as VS often go wrong)

* Incorrect Fuel = NO (I'm not daft and hardly drive it anyway)

* Key & Lock = NO (ditto)

* Multimedia = NO (cover is only 500, less than the system is worth)

* Tyre Insurance = NO (they may specify a cheaper, unmatched tyre)

* Voluntary Excess Per Claim = 100 (usually zero)

* Maximum Single Claims Limit = 4,000 (but others on Autotrader are selling at 5,000 for a low mileage V6 diesel Initiale?)

I guess that's still a mad price to pay for peace of mind though.

The only nagging doubt I have inside is what you say re the gearbox, engine etc, which I guess would include the turbo . Even if I only drive it once a fortnight, anything could happen, any time, anywhere... and cost a fortune!

What with self assessment, DIY expenses etc, I could do without paying 750 on a still-not-perfect warranty, so maybe I'll just save my money and hope nothing goes wrong :-)

I wonder what people like MeganeDynamique ended up with, warranty speaking, for their new Vel Satises. Can't be a very comprehensive warranty, going by the quotes I've been getting, and being in my mid-to-late 20s doesn't make much difference warranty-wise, only insurance wise...

Thanks as always for the dialogue. I seem indecisive but it is helping...!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome