Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Changing headlight bulb in Megane II

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12th January 2010
Doug Sinnott
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Changing headlight bulb in Megane II

[QUOTE=slinknet;456017]It's Winter and this time of year a front bulb always seems to blow! I've just spent two hours replacing the offside dipped bulb. Thinking about it now it should have been a five minute job if I had just followed some simple rules.

1) The access to the headlights are in the wheel arches, so first thig to do is turn the wheel into the wheelarch so you have just enough space to take off the cover.

2) This is where you have to work blind as you only have enough room for your arm. Reach into the hole and feel for the large circular cap that covers the back of the bulb holder. It takes a quarter turn (anticlockwise) to come off.

3) Remove the electric connector block that is pushed onto the bulb terminals, and put to one side.

4) The bulb is held in place by a strange W shape spring clip. Try not to remove the whole clip. It is held in place by two circular rings at the base, and clips into a small notch at the top of the mounting. It has two arms that apply pressure to the baseplate of the bulb thereby holding it in place. By moving the top of the clip towards you, it will clear the holding notch and then drop down (still being held in place in the two rings at the bottom).

5) The bulb can how be removed and a new one put in it's place. There is a cut out in the bulbs base plate so that it can seat correctly in the headlight. Once this is in, you need to pull up the clip and then try and catch the top of the clip back in the notch by pulling it slightly towards you and then pushing it forwards to clip in.

6) Push on the electric connector block. An idea at this point is to test the light to see if the connector is on correctly, and that the bulb works.

Replace the plastic circular back of the bulb unit to seal it and you can then refit the wheel arch cover plate.

Step 4 and 5 are the trickiest. Not the easiest thing to do, not sure why Renault couldn't have made it a bit easier, but at least the job can be done without removing whells, bumpers etc that I've seen on other web sites

I have Renault Megane 2,and the front indicator bulb went out.
After much struggling,and following my Haynes manual, I took it to my local Halfords Superstore,who did the job for £3.99,plus the cost of the bulbs!
15 minutes later,the job was done!
It's just not worth struggling!
Currently in Doug Sinnott's garage:
Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 Dci 2005
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome