Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

View Single Post
post #96 of (permalink) Old 14th January 2010
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

I too developed this same problem yesterday. After an inspection it was indeed a broken shock, so hoping that nobody has already done the following I have created a tutorial of how this job is done. I hope it might help those who wish to tackle this relatively simple task themselves.

Both shocks should always be replaced at the same time.

Use this tutorial at your own risk I cannot be held accountable for any loss or damage caused.

***Note - In this tutorial the components are already removed***

Tools you will need:

trolley jack
Wheel nut/stud socket or brace
2x Axle stands
Torque wrench
21mm socket (Hex prefered) for lower moutning bolt
22mm socket (12 point type) for upper mounting bolt

Step 1.
Loosen the wheel nuts prior to jacking the car as it is often easier with the full car weight.
Jack the car up on the first side to be worked on, and support the car on one of the axle stands securely.

Step 2.
Remove the roadwheel. Then placing the jack under the rear suspension arm raise the arm slightly to compress the shock and then place an axle stand under the arm to support the arm, then remove the jack. (Shock already removed)

(Lower shock mounting hole shown)

Step 3.
Loosen and remove the lower shock mounting bolt.

Step 4.
Loosen and remove the upper shock mounting bolt.

Remove the shock.
Here is the remains of one of my shocks.

And the 2x shock mounting bolts.
Top bolt is the Upper mounting bolt
Bottom is the lower mounting bolt

Step 5.
Refit new shock as reverse of removal.
Prior to fitting the new shocks ensure they are primed by pumping them slightly and releasing them 5 times or so.
The bush goes against the chassis (inwards), the flat side of the shock mounting point goes against the plate where you pass the bolt through.

Make sure that the bolt hole is aligned through to the threaded section on the chassis for the upper bolt.
It cant take some manipulation to get the right.

The lower section of the shock slides into the lower rear suspension arm itself.

Then refit the bolt with washer.

*Note* The manual says tighten bolts hand tight only. However, I would suggest that you tighten them with a spanner or socket so that they are just nipped up, then back them off a turn.
This insures that you have maximum thread engagement but that the assembly is not fully tighten as you will need the car to settle under its own weight before fully tightening the bolts.
With the upper bolt, you should find the shock swings fairly freely, with the lower mount you should find that the large washer on the bolt is easily rotated.

Step 6.
Refit the road wheel, then lower the car onto the ground.

Step 7.
Carry out the same procedure on the other side.

Step 8.
Replace both road wheels (ensuring that if you have directional tyres you have put them onto the right side!)
You then need to rock the car on each side. Either by opening the rear doors and standing on inside step and jumping up and down or by grabbing the rear wheel arch with the hand and lifting with a straight back.

Step 9.
Torque both bolts up to their specified torque setting.
Upper bolt in 100Nm
Lower bolt is 125Nm

Step 10.
Currently in cosrush's garage:
2002 (52) Renault Scenic 1.9Dti Fidji
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cosrush For This Useful Post:
mattius (22nd January 2011), raananh (27th June 2011), StephenDublin (17th April 2011), the1bandit (16th May 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome