Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #103 of (permalink) Old 20th January 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

Hello All,

So this appears to be the most relevent thread for my problem. Very similar if not identical to others. I have A Clio II '52 Plate Extreme. When I turn the engine over sat in idle the engine misfires and chugs away. When I go to move off I try to find the biting point and go and then I lose all power. No revs with my foot flat to the floor. The electrical warning light is on (the one that looks like a heart rate monitor with a coil below)

My car has been with a garage for a month. First they diagnosed Oxgen and Lambda sensors which they replaced. This did not rectify the problem. They then said it has got to be the Catalytic Converter. They replaced this stating the cost in total with recovery and labour would be just under 800.
The garage call me yesterday and say the problem has still not been resolved after these works (I have not paid them).

I get the garage to drop the car off at my local Renault main dealer. They have run diagnostics this morning and come up with this long list of faults...

1.Starter Motor connector - corroded - 123 (the engine starts so don't see how this is an issue)

2. Throttle Body motor - 617!!!!!(some people seem to have had this changed at a much lower cost)

3. Top engine wiring loom - 310 (I assume this is the ECU wiring loom that everyone is talking about. The guy did say something about damage to the wires)

4. Tapping engine valves - 310

5. Clamp missing from the exhaust - 15

6. Software reprogramming - 47

Total of these parts and labour a WHOPPING 1567 inc VAT

How can my car go from working fine one day to having all these faults the next. I guess what I am wondering if anyone will advise whether it is worth getting the Loom part sorted and seeing if this will rectify all the other 'faults' I'm thinking if there is a problem with the ECU wiring then surely some of these faults will be dodgy diagnostics? Ohter than that surely some of these are non essential and they are just trying to milk me. GRRRR!!!

I think Renault are seriously taking the mick with the costs they are talking about. My car is probably only worth 2250!!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am at the end of my teather. I have had no car since before Christmas :O(

One I have this issue sorted I will be trading my car in and NOT getting another Renault!!!!

Thanks for reading my rant.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome