Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Bodywork - Rear Screen Failures on Sport Tourer Versions

View Single Post
post #75 of (permalink) Old 22nd January 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Bodywork - Rear Screen Failures on Sport Tourer Ver

I too had a rear window 'explosion on my 51 laguna Sport Tourist Estate for no reason whatsoever. It happened tow mornings ago about 9,30. I did not see it happen myself but my neighbour said it just went 'bang' and glass showered everywhere. The car was parked on my drive and had been unused for about 15 hours.

Contacted AA insurance who told me to contact Auto-glass. They arrived next (today) and fitted a new screen at a cost of 60 (excess on my insurance). BUT... now the tailgate will not unlock!

Neither the whole gate or the window will unlock. The fitter said it may be water getting into the lock while it had been smashed. I had covered the whole lot with poloythene and there was not much water inside, although it had been raining fora few hours and of course water can get in anywhere.

I have been driving it around for a few hours with all heating on but still the tailgate will not unlock. Only way to free it is to drop the rear seats and clamber into the boot area and insert a pointed stick in the catch.

This is no good to me as I open and close the tailgate a number of times each day to carry my dog.

Has anyone else had this trouble and is it directly caused by the window smashing? Or is it something else? It was OK before the window broke. I also have AA parts replacement insurance so maybe I could claim on this for a new lock as the fault occured when the screen smashed?

Currently in barrykap's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna Sports Tourer 1.8
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome