Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Bodywork - Rear Screen Failures on Sport Tourer Versions

View Single Post
post #77 of (permalink) Old 26th January 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Bodywork - Rear Screen Failures on Sport Tourer Ver

Thanks for your adavice. I finally got round to havinga go at it.

I took the panel off and inside was quite dry. No sign of water leaking onto the electrics.

But the two tabs on the tailgate clasp release switch that take fastons are very small. If you picture a small faston connector viewed in section or at the 'business-end' they are two folded over pieces that push onto a faston tab with the two folded bits gripping the faston tab.

Well because the faston tabs in this switch are so tiny, only half of the faston connector is used to make contact. So the other half is not in contact at all (typical poor design eh?). So pressure is put on the half in contact and in one of them it was very loose. The faston just popped off when I took the switch unit out. So I crimped it a bit so it's tighter fit and it seems to have done the job. (after cleaning the tabs up and then squirting WD40 over the lot).

The catch that holds the tailgate down is a bit erratic though. Takes a couple of slams for it to 'make'. Scared in case it smashes the windscreen again!

So again I removed the lower alum trim on the boot front and looked ta the catch. It is very unusual in that it appears to be 'loose' ie it can rock back and forth, yet the big round 'disc-shaped' bolts look firm. They have 'star' fastening holes and I don't have one to fit so couldn't undo them. But why does it move like that? Is this normal?

Can't see how undoing the two big bolts will allow any adjustment.

Any ideas please?

Thanks a lot

Currently in barrykap's garage:
2001 Renault Laguna Sports Tourer 1.8
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome