Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 3 - Rattle From Tailgate

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 29th January 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 3 - Rattle From Tailgate

A solution to the noise!

Just to clarify: the noise we're talking about comes from the tailgate and sounds like a clicking/tapping noise like metal-on-metal or metal-on-glass. It occurs nearly all the time the car is moving.
On our car the noise has gradually got worse to the point it was very loud and could be reproduced when the car was stationary by pressing the glass of the tailgate at the bottom near-side. The noise was easily audible outside the car as well.

The tailgate has spring-loaded plastic caps which push against rubber caps on the car body when closed. These push the tailgate out while the boot catch pulls it in, so the tailgate is held stable.
The noise comes from the springs inside the plastic caps grating against the plastic/metal enclosure.

Copius WD40! You can spray it in from the cap side of the spring and from behind. Then work the cap, pushing it against the spring and moving it from side to side. It would probably be better to use a more permanent lube but I'm not sure you can remove the assembly without breaking it.

Hope this helps if anyone else gets the same problem!

Here's a pic of the sprung plastic cap on the tailgate:
Currently in i-am-andrew's garage:
2009 Clio III 1.2 Turbo Dynamique S

Last edited by i-am-andrew; 29th January 2010 at 06:04 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome