Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #949 of (permalink) Old 29th January 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Okay, Toyota and Honda are getting some bad press for "recalling" vehicles for preventive measures...that's the marketing jargon for "houston we've got a problem".

Although the media are trying to blow this up out of all propositions...a safety recall is exactly that a risk to the safety of a owner/occupant.

NOW - lets put this into context...
  • so your electric window mechanism might catch fire (aka Renault Scenic scenario!) = HONDA / RENAULT RECALL...
  • a problem with the accelerator pedal = GLOBAL TOYOTA RECALL

But a problem with a bonnet which impairs your view through the windscreen = NOT A SAFETY RISK...NO RECALL.

Explain this to me again...I just don't get it...what's the difference? They all endanger the safety of the occupant...surely that's sufficient for a recall.

One last comment...I am frustrated...nope...ANGRY...that we are still hearing incidents still happening...irrespective who serviced the car, the issue is with the mechanism... The root-cause is that it is designed as a maintenance-free mechanism with inferior's basically shoddy manufacturing!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome