Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Megane 1.5Dci 106 Tomtom Edition - Should I buy?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Grand Megane 1.5Dci 106 Tomtom Edition - Should I buy?

I am considering purchasing the above but there is not too much information out there on this new model it seems.

There is a lot of car and extras for the money but Renault apparently would not have the same quality level as a Toyota I am told (though you would be forking out a hell of a lot more dosh on a Toyota Avensis to even approach the spec of the Tom-Tom 106 Grande Megane).

I can see that the earlier model Meganes were troubled by problems but is it reasonable to assume that these issues have largely been ironed out in the later models, and even more so in the forthcoming Grand Megane which represents the 3rd or is it the 4th generation of Megane?

I can see that people have been having some difficulty with engine noise, keycard access etc but is it reasonable to assume that for every irate owner with a problem posting on the forum there are several hundred happy users that do not have a need to share their satisfaction with their purchase online. While this is no easy task, what I am looking for is a steer as to what extent the problems being reported are representative of the total population of Renaults on the road.

Basically I do believe that switching from a Toyota to a Renault is a risk in terms of reliability, but given the price and extras attached to the Grand Megane, I am prepared to consider doing so if my research leads me to believe that while problems might be encountered to a greater extent in the Renault marque, that they are by no means certain to be encountered in each instance, and that there might be a pretty reasonable chance of my not becoming an irate Renault owner if I take the plunge?

Would appreciate any advice on this, anecdotal or otherwise, to add to my collection to date.

Many thanks
Currently in Orson100's garage:
06 Avensis Strata; 10 Grande Megane TomTom 1.5BHP
  5 Lastest Threads by Orson100
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Grand Megane 1.5Dci 106 Tomtom Edition - Should I... Cars & motoring 9 4109 1st February 2010 01:04 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome