Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - CLOCKSPRING (aka "rotational connector!") *FIXED*

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 3rd February 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: CLOCKSPRING (aka "rotational connector!") *FIXED*

Hello there. I'm glad you stumbled upon this thread that I started last year. I'm glad to be able to assist some other poor Megane owner!
If you read the lengthy posting I submitted in August 09 it will tell you all you need to know.
The important fact is that you cannot just buy the clockspring. You must buy the whole switch unit that sits beneath the steering wheel. That is why it is so expensive. I bought two units from scrappies, sorry dismantlers, selling on ebay . Search for "renault megane 2 switch unit or indicator unit" and see what comes up. Most of these for sale are from damaged cars and initially I was wary about buying from a vehicle in which the airbags had deployed. However I worried unnecessarily as the two I bought worked perfectly. The electricity for firing the airbag is carried along the tracks of the clockspring but this did not damage them at all.
If your Megane has "auto" written on the end of the left hand stalk you really need to replace it with one the same so if you locate one on ebay , enquire about this when you ring up.
As for fitting other Renaults, I would not like to say as I have no experience of any other model. Have a look inside other models of the same era and see if the controls look the same.
When fitting the replacement unit, it is essential to centre the clockspring before you fit it and to do this a black dot lines up with a hole in the plastic cover. If you get it wrong it will break as soon as you turn the wheel on lock.
Finally if you look behind the steering wheel you will be able to see the clock spring housing. If you look extra carefully you will be able to see the edge of the clockspring itself (it's a white tape). If you can see bunching and looping then it is defo broken. I think though that the crunching sound you heard confirms it - sounds like a piece of tinfoil caught in there. If you need any further advice, please get in touch again. I have kept the broken ones so if you want to see what they look like "in the flesh" I could send photos. (Can I attach JPEGs to these threads???)
Mike the ancient Triumphman!
Currently in triumph2.5man's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome