Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 2 - Engine Undertray Bolts

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 7th February 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna 2 - Engine Undertray Bolts

I tried grinding off the bolt heads with my angle grinder and the heat generated by the process just melted the plastic around the bolt head, with loads of smoking.(Bit worried about fire at that point as undertray had collected quite a bit of oil over the years). Gave up and just used about a 3cm disc cutter on the electric drill to cut the tray from around each bolt, it is really quick to do each one. Then when re-attaching it is really easy to hold it on because the little discs that have been left act as a kind of temporary interference fit to hold it on (along with the plastic beer crate under one side!). I found that heavy duty long zip ties work well to hold the tray on permanently- there is a nearby convenient hole to secure it to near every single hole I chose to use near the edge of the undertray, and I drilled a couple of extras for good luck in the undertray. It is possible to use loads of zip ties if you are paranoid about it coming off. I was not, because it tucks above the bottom of the front spoiler, so gets supported at the most important end, and secondly zip ties are really strong, and only have to do a year at most, as they will be replaced at my annual oil change. I found that it was possible to get the undertray off/on with the car jacked up high with the trolley jack on one side of the car only, and used axle stands too in case jack failed.
Currently in fatgut's garage:
2002 laguna II 1.9dCi Expression Sport Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome