Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is the Renault Laguna II overly problematic?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 7th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by wailim_2002

Was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this.

Are Renault stockpiling Lagunas which have essentially been abandoned? In Ireland, a 4 year old laguna will attract no more than 6000 as a trade in against a brand new car (of any make) from any dealer (including Renault)who all state it is a very unreliable car. They also state they can pick them up from the trade for 4000. This is rather annoying having spent 28K only 4 years earlier. Depreciation running at 5.5K per year. Extraordinary!

I own a 2002 1.6 Laguna II (K4M Engine) on 56K miles. I also own a Ford Modeo Executive 2.0 on 125K miles which is a 2001. I service both cars myself.

I have other posts in here on problems I am working through myself coz the Renault dealers appear worse than other dealers to me. Not very impressed with Renault at all and this is the last one I shall ever own.

Incidentally the other car with 125K mls and 1 year older beats the Laguna in every aspect and I will switch my family second car to Ford over my current experiences.
Talking about my own V6 which is a May 2002 reg, I can't say it has been at all problematic. Its history reveals the changing of three ignition coils and basically that's it, as far as problems are concerned. (Mother-in-law's A3 Audi had six changed, as had several other cars I know of also purchased new; - my experience of coils is that they suffer [as do condensers] if you leave your ignition switched on while engine is not running- at least that was the gen from an auto-electrician years ago.)Mind you, it has only done just under 23k miles so perhaps there is time yet. Incidentally, the coils were replaced by Renault free of charge, so that is also a plus.

I can honestly say that I am getting more driving pleasure from this car than I have done from any recent ones that I have owned. I was apprehensive at first because of all the toys that came with it (it is the Initiale), because basically, my logic tells me that if it doesn't have it, then it can't go wrong; but it has grown on me and although I need a van at the moment, I would rather keep the car than get rid at some ridiculous loss.

I can't say that I have seen any recent Lagunas on the forecourt for the kind of prices you mentioned especially at Renault main dealers, and looking at autotrader, it appears you can pay anything from 4k to 9k for a mark2 phase1, depending on dealer and specification. I suppose that things like satnav, leather, parking sensors, self-dim mirrors, electric memory seats, and a bundle of other toys will always make a car appear more attractive to some people.

Of course, when comparing your two cars, you have to take into account the fact that the Lagiuna is a 1.6 ltr whereas the Mondeo is a 2 ltr so there will always be a perception of higher performance and response.

My own thoughts are that this is a lot of car for very little money when bought second-hand but I wouldn't go for a brand new one unless I was in a financially comfortable position that made depreciation unimportant.

Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome