Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Handbrake screech from box behind brakes

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 22nd February 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Re: Handbrake screech from box behind brakes

Did you manage to find out what the screeching noise was?
Mine started doing the same before Christmas. Our works garage had a look and said the cover to one of the cables was split and there was water inside the control box. Of course it is impossible to buy replacement cables - they only come with the control unit, which can only be bought from a Renault dealer at 400.
Unfortunately, at the weekend, the handbrake refused to disengage as I set off from traffic lights on a busy dual carriageway - I had to stop and get my husband to pull the emergency release in the boot. Now I have no handbrake at all.
My local garage have had the car today and called in an ex-Renault auto electrician to see if he could do anything with his fancy computer. Unfortunately he couldn't fix it so it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and fork out 100's to have it repaired.
He also said that once the new unit is fitted it needs to be set up / re-calibrated with equipment that only Renault dealers have.

Unless anyone else knows differently and can save me a fortune ??
Currently in SheBe56's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic 1.5dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome