Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 54 Laguna II spongy brakes

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 23rd February 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
54 Laguna II spongy brakes

My Laguna has suddenly developed what I can only describe as spongy braking. Particularly noticable at speed, I apply the brake and I have a feeling of nothing happening initially (Imean like a split second) and then as the pedal keeps going the car reacts.

It doesn't make any noise. It doesnt pull to one side. There is no judder on braking. I have been playing "emergency stops" and the car pulls up quickly and straight.

A quick check of the calipers (front only mind) when having front wheels balanced today, showed no obvious reasons. No sign of contamination on discs or jammed pistons.

The tyre guy did point out one wheel was warped (spinning it on the balancing machine) but he said that should not affect the braking (he balanced it just fine and my judder at 55mph has gone).

Any ideas on this ? I was going to have all the wheels off and give the pads/discs/caplipers a good check. I have no facility to check runout for a warped disc, but as no judder on braking, is this relevant ?

Next option - change brake fluid in case of air/contaminates ?

After that, I guess the real cost looms with master cyl and servo....

For info, rear pads/discs changed Nov 2007, front pads April 2007 and front discs early 2006.
Currently in andyhamman's garage:
2004 Laguna II 2.0 Petrol Dynamique
  5 Lastest Threads by andyhamman
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
54 Laguna II spongy brakes Brakes/Hubs mord 1 1184 23rd February 2010 07:19 PM
54 Laguna II Aircon compressor Heating & cooling madnoel10 1 1249 23rd February 2010 07:12 PM
Laguna II climate control flickers Electronics Diesel Man 4 1214 10th February 2009 09:12 PM
Laguna II stalls from cold Engines pugpower 10 3168 10th February 2009 09:01 PM
Laguna II heater smell Heating & cooling saabguy 4 1465 10th February 2009 08:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome