Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2001 Dynamique - Brakes juddering

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 23rd February 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2001 Dynamique - Brakes juddering

Hi Jillos, I hope you've sorted it by now and not too expensive!!
I have just posted on 'Repairing an ABS Ring' and while it's not simple, it's not that hard to do with a socket set and a few other bits if you or a friend doesn't mind dirty nails!
Bottom line, you don't necessarily need a new drive shaft and you CAN buy the rings on line (fleabay!) for less than 15!
My symptoms? Well, besides the leaking sunroof and pool in the footwell (sorted using the Betta Windscreens post on here)and the intermittent non starting though turning over (sorted, I hope, by removing and cleaning the contacts of the TDC Sensor under the pipe below the airfilterbox on what is now my daughters ' 03 Clio) the ABS warning light was on on the dash. The front offside wheel gave off a light graunching noise when the brakes were applied at lowish speed, especially when turning right, coupled with a more noticeable 'judder' through the brake pedal from the ABS.
Looking underneath the wheel arch, behind the brake disc, there is a cogged (toothed) 'ring' mounted on the hub just infront of the rubber 'boot' covering the Constant Velocity Joint (CV boot) on the end of the drive shaft.
Have a look at this ring. Is it broken? Jack up the wheel and you can rotate it to check it out. If it is, needs replacing!
Is it dirty/greasy? Get a degreasing spray or similar and clean it and the, by now obvious, sensor, above it. The sensor is mounted on the back of the bracket above it and has a small plastic coated wire leading down to it.
That clean may be enough.
I know this is simplistic but I'm a DIYer who resents paying a lot of money to garages to do stuff that if I pull my finger out I can do myself, with a lot of help from the peeps on here!!
Hope this helps
Currently in Allegedly's garage:
2004 Clio 1.2 and Landrover Discovery
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome