Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Mk1. Megane 1.6RT sport blocked sunroof drains

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Mk1. Megane 1.6RT sport blocked sunroof drains

Originally Posted by mord View Post

the sunroof drain pipes are about 1-2m long, they exit in behind the splash guards in the wheel arches.
on the end of the pipes there are rubber end caps with an annoying flap on the end, they age, get stiff and eventually they silt up causing the water to back up.

you need to get to an iron mongers and buy 3-4m of plastic coated net curtain wire.(about a quid)
stuff that down the holes and push the end caps open.
if that still doesnt work then you need to pull the back section of the front splash guards open (you will need to remove the securing clips/screws) and pull off the end cap, lots of water should then pour out.
same for the rear ones, cant remember if they exit via the front section of the splash guard or the rear. unclip and check, its in behind there somewhere, remove end caps.
if you really want you can buy new end caps, but they wont be cheap and will probably silt up eventually again.

have fun
Many thanks. I did go straight for the wheel arches on the front and found the end caps, rubbish articles that they are. Loads of crap came out and as it is pouring down thought I would see if there was any more leaks. Nothing like it was, but a very small amount still. I did notice that the tolerance between the drain holes and the top of the channel is only about 10mm and then it just overflows through the head lining anyway! I suppose that if there is torrential drain it may overload the channel. Don't suppose you know anything about sunroof seals, as I thought that if it was letting in more than it should then that might cause the overflow problem. Cheers.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome