Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to adapt Keyless system?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 8th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by gurcano
I have a 06 Scenic II with a key card system. But i wish to have a keyless system in which I don't need to take the card from my pocket. I think my car has the needed sensors under the door locks. Is there a way to change the key card system to the keyless system. I think this is a software issue that can be done at the dealers. Any idea about the subject?
I think all models have the sensor window behind the handle, but that's simply to standardise the construction of the door panels. The real question is whether the sensors are actually fitted to the doors, and whether the radio transcievers are present in the roof of the car to detect the keycard remotely.

If they are there, then all you'd need is reprogamming on Clip and replacement key cards (the non hands-free cards aren't compatible with the hands-free functionality.) But if you ask a Renault dealer, they'll simply tell you that it can't be done, and make it blindingly obvious that they're sick and tired of being asked that particular question.

At least that's the response I got from two dealers when enquiring about having my hands-free system reconfigured so that all the sensors worked (only the driver's door one did by default.) In spite of my trying to make things as clear as I could, they insisted on interpreting my request as a desire to have the 'handsfree' card function on a car that didn't already have it. I was in fact asking for the 'handsfree' function to be reconfigured on a car that was fitted with the function.

In the end, one dealer actually said 'can do' and did the reprogramming that I wanted.

The handsfree function isn't all it's cracked up to be. You still have to use the lock button on the card to deadlock the car, and if you do that, the handsfree system deactivates and you have to use the unlock button to unlock it. Not having to stick the card in the slot is a bonus, and not having to remember to lock the car is handy too, but it's not all good. The real danger (if you're not in the habit of watching for the car locking as you walk away) is that your keys drop out of your pocket in the car. If that happens, then the car will not only remain unlocked but can be started by anyone who decides to give it a try. I've had my keys drop out of my pocket in the car once, and luckily I noticed that the car didn't lock itself when I walked away. If I hadn't been as observant, I might not have had a car to come back to.

I recall another story (on this forum I think) of someone who was left stranded because he'd forgotten his keycard. The car started because his wife had her card, but he dropped her off part way through the journey. Once he got to his final destination and stopped the engine, he couldn't start it again because he didn't have a card.

Personally, while I'd miss the handsfree system slightly if I moved to a car that didn't have it, I wouldn't spend good money on having it fitted. This is at least going to cost you a replacement keycard (sensibly two) at around 100 quid a pop. I don't really think it's worth it.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome