Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is the Renault Laguna II overly problematic?

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 8th July 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by ide man

I have owned both fords and Renaults and currently drive a laguna .

1. I feel fords are cheaper to maintain .

2. My Renault is far the better car and the initiale blows the socks off the Gear x one thing Renault do know how to build and that is a luxury car .

3. Interiors on the latest ford are boreing .

4. All big cars loose money so best buying second hand unless you are loaded

5. I feel fords are slightly more reliable but if I had to make a choice I would buy renault as they are more intresting and nicer to drive and I have heard the new Laguna is very reliable .

Thanks ide man
That hits the nail on the head in every respect, especially point no.2. Whenever I get to change cars, I look at the competition and find that I've been spoiled by my previous Renault. The only similarly priced car that's prepared to spoil me with the same features is another Renault, so I end up with yet another one. I was going to go for a Peugeot 407 this time round, but I was really comparing it with my old L2 Phase 1 Privilege. Comparing it with the Phase 2 Initiale that I have now (which was still cheaper than the Pug) it was no contest when it came to spec. Though the Pug is still a much better looking car

The Laguna II has suffered a few setbacks, especially in its early days. It got too much new technology that hadn't been used on a high volume production vehicle before, and that was asking for trouble. Tyre pressure monitor problems and the problem with earlier 6 speed gearboxes on the diesels spring to mind (not that gearboxes have ever been Renault's strong point.)

To a point, it's a shame that they didn't see the flaws in the IDE from the Megane before it became the 2 litre engine of choice on the L2. On the other hand, as I've said time and time again, the IDE is a cracking engine when it's working properly. For driving pleasure, I'd definitely prefer it to the VVT , though from an ownership point of view, the VVT is a safer bet.

Turbo problems on the diesels are both expensive and common, and of course they can be doubly disasterous if you don't know that you have to stall the engine when it starts running off its own oil . But the Renaults are not the only cars to suffer from this fault - I believe Land Rover had exactly the same problem, and I'll bet there are others.

But add all this to the traditional Renault weaknesses (iffy electrics, dodgy auto boxes, not so clever manual boxes.) Mix in a good dose of (probably) all time low build quality at the time that the L2 was released, and you can understand how everything conspires to give the car a reputation as a dog.

At least the exhaust back box doesn't have a tendency to dump itself onto tarmac at high speed, as Renaults traditionally have for many years. So they're getting some things right
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 8th July 2006 at 09:00 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome