Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to repair a dented plastic panel or bumper

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd March 2010 Thread Starter
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
How to repair a dented plastic panel or bumper

Hi all.

Recently, Ive been receiving more involved and complicated jobs (for a smart repairer, that is), an example was swapping over a car door on an '08 Corsa, and previously, painting & replacing a plastic sill on a '58 Altea Freetrack.

But one I did this weekend, which I'm particularly happy with, and have caught on camera, is one which you could do, if this unfortunately happened to you.

The car in question is a BMW X3 3.0TD, 18 months old, and the first pic shows the damage inflicted in a car park (which the owner returned to find)....

How I tackled this, was to remove the front wheel, and partially dismantle the wheelarch liner, which allowed me to get my hand onto the damaged part of the bumper. At the same time, in my other hand - I held a heat gun, and gradually warmed the affected area.

As the plastic began to heat up (which I could feel with my hand), it also began to soften, and I slowly worked it out until I achieved what you can see in the second pic after the plastic cooled & hardened up....

Its not absolutely perfect (the plastic was very stressed where it had met the inside edge of the wing), but the owner was well-chuffed (as was I).

Paint was then dealt with - job done!

The best advice I can offer, is to avoid applying too much heat (paint & plastic damage will occur), and to keep the pressure on the plastic whilst it cools, to ensure it solidifies into the desired shape.

Hope it helps anyone out there with plastic wing or bumper damage.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X3 before.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	9550   Click image for larger version

Name:	X3 after.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	9551  

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
  5 Lastest Threads by VelSatisfied
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Grasping the nettle (at last) Bodywork VelSatisfied 12 422 15th July 2016 12:11 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome