Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Puzzling noise Scenic Rx-4

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 22nd March 2010 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Puzzling noise Scenic Rx-4

The prop donut was replaced by me at about 140,000km and is still great. Was from Dave McProps over you way and he gave 5 years I thought but now gives 10yr warranty. (they need some adjustment before fitting though as the bolt ways are too long)
The centre and forward bearings don't have any sideways movement at all but the rear one has much softer(read almost stuffed looking) rubber compared to the front one. Almost like old compared to new.
I am tossing up boxing the rear housing with some perspex and injecting some hardening silicon/urathane to see if the noise goes away. If it does I have found the solution.
Coming home this afternoon, on RH corners it sounded almost as if it's outer LH front CV joint but the boot is intact. Possible wheel bearing failure? I don't even want to know what the Reno gouge will be for that one.
Currently in OzRX4's garage:
2001 Megane Scenic RX4 Privelege Verve, 2003 Clio Privelege 1.4auto, {son's car}
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome