Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2 Leaking & rattling Sunroof FIXED!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 26th March 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Thumbs up Clio 2 Leaking & rattling Sunroof FIXED!

Seeing as Renault couldn't do it properly the first time; I thought I had better do it, properly.

Problems were. Water leaking via the Sunroof and also a hellish rattle from the glass. The water was leaking through the headlining just above the sun visors, soaking both front seat squabs and my lap.

So I set about removing the roof today at 11am. First things first the glass needs to come out. This is done by opening the roof to it's maximum and then releasing the red button. Then lift the glass all the way up near vertical and the lifting away. Best to have an assistant at this point to avoid any breakages. I had my workmate Brian handy, but anyone will do, they don't need to be called, Brian.

Next up, I removed the interiour light, sun visors and finishing trim from inside the car.

This allows you to gain enough room to move the headlining (Careful!) to gain access to the SIXTEEN! Mounting bolts. Using a 10mm ratchet spanner made this relatively straightforward but still time consuming. The rear bolts at the corners are a real pain to get at and put back but hopefully it will be worth the effort.

After a while... I was able to lift the sunroof frame clear of the car roof and disconnect the hoses at the front which drain away rain water, allegedly. BTW. Before doing anything else I had checked these were working correctly/ not blocked and they were working as intended. Okay. The sunroof is now out and we can see the problems.

Close up of the rubbish sealant used at the factory. :loser:

Well passed its best, if it was ever up to the job in the first place!? All that crap needs to be scraped off with a flat screw driver and cleaned to withinn an inch of its life with white spirit. Dirty job but as with everything, good prep' is the key! While that was drying, I turned my attention to the cause of the rattle. I soon found the problem. Renault hadn't added anything between the roof of the car and sunroof mounting. Metal on metal = rattles.

You can see in this picture the sunroof mounting frame as it left the factory. Below is my much improved design.

That blue stuff is no more nails tape, with the outer covering left on. Sticks like a & provides a nice non-rattle surface between the sunroof mounting and car roof. It won't rattle now.

All that was left now was to add plenty of quality sealant and in true Haynes style; refitting is the reversal of removal. Back went the water drain pipes and the SIXTEEN bolts! And once I was happy it was tight as a drum, the glass went back in, followed by the trim etc.

The finished job.

Took me about 4 hours in total, but I'm a fussy bugger and there wasn't any rush as I NEVER want to have to do it again, so made sure it was right, this time!

Tools etc used.

To finish. I got the car nice and warm and left a bucket of water on top of a newspaper, to weight the roof down and it'll stay in the garage overnight to give the sealant plenty of time to cure in the dry.

If it leaks now..... So help me, it'll be getting driven into the local river.

I hope that helps some of you. Nothing worse than a car that leaks water. BTW. Can a Mod' please move this to the correct place, as I still cannot post there.

Cheers folks. DCi51.
Currently in 51DCi's garage:
2001 Clio DCi 65

Last edited by 51DCi; 26th March 2010 at 06:37 PM.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to 51DCi For This Useful Post:
4drclio (18th January 2014), Cabra8331 (28th October 2015), Cliochic (4th January 2011), dking75 (29th April 2014), funkin79 (5th January 2013), Ga134 (11th January 2014), ganonman84 (3rd January 2014), gazza82 (24th February 2014), hm101 (8th June 2014), jayjaynz (6th January 2014), kalpal (13th December 2010), NellyT (9th January 2016), Norbert73 (9th November 2013), pixelpefekt (12th August 2014), samuelsbay (4th January 2014), stef123 (13th September 2010), swinman (6th September 2015), T569GCK (25th April 2014), twotanks (22nd July 2011)
  5 Lastest Threads by 51DCi
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
New to me Gooner 3 (Tourer) My mottah! 51DCi 0 1072 28th July 2011 10:13 PM
Key locked in car (no spare) opps! Cars & motoring 51DCi 3 9355 10th July 2010 06:53 PM
Bluetooth Stereo upgrade Electronics 51DCi 2 6554 2nd April 2010 06:40 PM
Clio 2 Leaking & rattling Sunroof FIXED! Bodywork EwOkIE 32 64831 26th March 2010 06:17 PM
Road tax: 2009, 2010 and 2011 charges General Chat 10 3602 22nd March 2010 06:57 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome