Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How To Guide - Remove Rear Quarter

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 27th March 2010
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: How To Guide - Remove Rear Quarter

Hi there Nick, and welcome.

To be absolutely frank here - there is no way this could be done without extreme welding.

The rear 1/4 panel isn't bolted to the bodyshell, it is the bodyshell, and welded seams would need to be split and an air cutter used to seperate this entire section from the roof and the floorpan.

This is in addition to stripping out the interior, and removing the tailgate.

Personally speaking, I'd look to get the existing panel repaired rather than butchering your car yet further - it'll prove cheaper, less stressful and will turn out a better job.

Plus, since a monocoque chassis relies on the integrity of the entire bodyshell for its strength - you don't want to risk the car folding up in an impact, or becoming misaligned when this panel's being welded into place.

Post a pic of the damage, and I'll give you an honest assessment.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome