Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #954 of (permalink) Old 29th March 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
It's like they're closing their eyes and pretending it's not happening... Then again, it's not like they aren't aware of the issue. I'm just puzzled that they don't care about the custom all this bad press is losing them, rather than just owning up and trying to rescue the situation.
Yep unfortunately in this day in life, companies/organisations do the "most sensible" thing in their book and deny all responsibility. Most people get fobbed off and don't have the time or energy to pursue, so company wins.

In the case of Renault, they chose this, but chose the wrong people to screw over. Since this happened over 4 years, which I quoted "Renault classed as an unique incident" - hmmm 2,000 unique?, Renault realised that their tact wasn't working. Problem is when you've gone down a path for soooo long, it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to reverse or change approach, without it affecting the company's reputation (and brand value) - not to mention $$$ impact!!

Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
Of course, Toyota started off on the same note - they blamed the owners and claimed aftermarket carpets were at fault. However, they changed tack when the evidence was overwhelmingly to the contrary, unlike Renault.
See above - same approach as Renault took, but the difference is one manufacture is the largest vehicle manufacture in the world with m/billions more vehicles on the roads, versus another which really only has a fraction of the number. Hmmm...more importantly, it was only because Toyota had a large customer base in the US did the whole snowball effect get triggered. Two words "law suit". That was a $$$ billion law suit that would have impacted Toyota - esp. if it went against them, forcing them to do a recall. So Toyota jumped before they were pushed, to market that they issued and managed the recall (of course, totally the opposite of Renault - who still choose inaction and blanket denial!).

I've continued pursuing Renault (and VOSA) for the last 4 years and this won't stop until their do the only thing acceptable in everyone's eyes - especially those the experienced the life-threatening incidents...they need to do a UK/Global recall - and replace the defective mechanism to something that can withstrand general road conditions...

As you can see I don't take something that could have killed me lying down! The buggers need to pay - including covering the costs of all cases where they failed to notify the owners of the safety risk!

Lets keep pushing until we get the resolution we rightly deserve!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome