Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #956 of (permalink) Old 29th March 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

I agree entirely with Brigatti.

The issue of bonnet catch failures has been handled abysmally by both VOSA and Renault. Whether the problem be a design fault or maintenance problem neither seems to have been addressed properly.

Also in my opinion it would seem VOSA either don't want to deal with the issue or don't have the powers to take suitable action.

On the actions taken so far it would seem all parties concerned have taken the sticking plaster approach rather than face up to what is in my opinion a serious safety issue. In fact I feel this matter is much worse than the Toyota problem where should your throttle jam open you may have an opportunity to take life saving action whereas with the sudden failure of a bonnet catch your options are totally in the lap of the gods. Yes in the USA the threat of massive financial claims or penalties may result in a different response it would seem the UK motorist needs a champion to defend his corner and from what I see there are no obvious signs of such.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome