Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #959 of (permalink) Old 1st April 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

A nice standard (aka rubbish) response from VOSA... c'mon can't they simply not see that adding nothing to their previous comments is simply not acceptable!

"Thank you for your letter of 28 March 2010 addressed to Mr Peoples that accompanied your email of the same date to Mr Peoples, Mr Clark and Lord Adonis concerning Renault Clio II bonnets. As the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Director responsible for the investigation of report of alleged safety defects by our Vehicle Safety Branch your letter and email have been passed to me for reply.

There is little I can add to our earlier letters. In addition to writing to registered keepers offering a free inspection of the bonnet and safety catch components Renault have provided an insert for owners***8217; manuals on maintenance requirements, and issued an instruction to their dealerships to include bonnet and safety catches in standard servicing schedules.

You may be reassured to know that bonnet catches are checked at MOT test, and many of the vehicles we are concerned with here are of MOT testable age. You may also be interested to know that when we last analysed MOT test fail data for bonnet catches, 11% of Clio IIs submitted for test failed due to problems with the bonnet catch as opposed to a higher average failure rate of 15% across all makes and models.

VOSA will not be carrying out any further investigation because we have already gone as far as we can with this, and like Renault, have concluded that the main cause of catch failures has been a lack of appropriate maintenance.

Yours sincerely

Alex Fiddes
Chief Operating Officer "

Happy reading...welcome your views, as always!!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome