Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Loose Wiring Loom Cover Cutting Into ECU Loom*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #57 of (permalink) Old 1st April 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Loose Wiring Loom Cover Cutting Into ECU Loom*FIXED*

My wifes 02 1.2 Expression has just suffered this fault. Having had the coil block replaced last month, when it died 70 miles away from home and the ECU light came on, the recovery man suspected the same fault ie coils and duly brought her home. I asked our mobile mechanic to have a look and almost straight away he discovered the chafed wiring loom to the ECU .
His proposed fix was to remove the black box, cut and solder the affected wires and use heat shrink tubing to insulate the individual wires. This he did, having slit the rubber loom casing to expose a bit more wire to work with. The anti tamper box has been discarded as we reckon it will just cause the same problem if refitted. The repaired wires were tie wrapped together and then coated with silicone grease to stop moisture getting at them. The car coughed and spluttered when started but then settled down and is now running fine. As an added bonus, the outside air temperature sensor which has been reading 40deg C for the last year is now working perfectly!
Not sure if its relevant to previous posters problems, but in the course of our enquiries into this problem, we were warned that the chafed wires may have damaged the ECU . Not so in our case thankfully, but I wonder if this is the cause of other posters continued problems once they had repaired the wiring ?
Currently in windy488's garage:
04 Laguna 2 1.9dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome