Join Date: Jul 2006
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Re: Deep scratches - DIY or pay up a month wage.
Your car's code is D69 - Gris Platine.
It is possible to make a reasonable effort at disguising this damage yourself, here's what I would suggest you do;
- give the damaged areas (especially the bits which are showing as white) a very heavy compound & polish-up with cutting compound, then something like T-cut, then a good polish.
- This will minimise the damaged areas to just where paint needs applying (the white bits are lacquer damage, which is purely superficial, and can be removed with a bit of elbow grease).
- Then, with the touch-up paint thinned down quite a bit, and thoroughly mixed, apply to the black spots, using an open-ended paper clip - start at the edges (where the paint ends), and work your way around until you get to the middle. You will probably have to keep shaking-up the paint in the pot a few times to fill each separate area.
- I would leave it a day, then do the same with some lacquer (again, thin it down a bit).
- after a week since applying the lacquer, wash the car, and polish the bumpers - it may not appear 'perfect' (only sanding down, and fully respraying the bumpers would give that result), but if you have taken your time, the result should be one where only you would be able to really spot the original damage.
If I can advise further, please ask away.
Needless to say, only apply paint & lacquer in dry conditions.
EDIT: a very fine artist's brush could also be used.
This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
Last edited by VelSatisfied; 13th April 2010 at 09:02 AM.
Reason: Missed additional point (because I was half-sleeping on my feet at this time of day)!