Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Deep scratches - DIY or pay up a month wage.

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 13th April 2010
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Deep scratches - DIY or pay up a month wage.

I'm not going to criticise any other business' work (they do have a good standard), but if money is tight - give it a go yourself, you will not make it worse, and for 20-25 may well end up with a result you are happy with.

I was once asked to quote on a Laguna II by someone who had called out the aforementioned franchise, I assessed the work, and quoted a figure of 50 all-in (not vat registered, but included all paint & consumables).

Chipsaway had quoted 215 + vat = circa 250 for the same job.

Needless to say, I got the work.

Bigger is not always better.

I personally wouldn't think twice about repairing your car using the method I've described, and to be honest - neither should you.

Care, and patience is all that's required to get a good result on a budget (after all, that's what I've made a business out of doing).

At the end of the day, its up to you to be honest with yourself over how steady your hand is, and what you'd be happy to achieve based on what you want to pay.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome