Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Deep scratches - DIY or pay up a month wage.

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 14th April 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Deep scratches - DIY or pay up a month wage.

Originally Posted by VelSatisfied View Post
I'm not going to criticise any other business' work (they do have a good standard), but if money is tight - give it a go yourself, you will not make it worse, and for 20-25 may well end up with a result you are happy with.

I was once asked to quote on a Laguna II by someone who had called out the aforementioned franchise, I assessed the work, and quoted a figure of 50 all-in (not vat registered, but included all paint & consumables).

Chipsaway had quoted 215 + vat = circa 250 for the same job.

Needless to say, I got the work.

Bigger is not always better.

I personally wouldn't think twice about repairing your car using the method I've described, and to be honest - neither should you.

Care, and patience is all that's required to get a good result on a budget (after all, that's what I've made a business out of doing).

At the end of the day, its up to you to be honest with yourself over how steady your hand is, and what you'd be happy to achieve based on what you want to pay.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

I can't disagree with what you said Paul but the trouble is that you are obviously something of an expert in this. I for one, am terrified of car paintwork as every time I tried it I seemed to end up in more trouble. Maybe its me but I always prided myself on being able to do most things to a fairly high standard, the two I couldn't master were plastering and car paintwork. (I can get varnishing or gloss paint to a mirror finish but not cars.LOL)
Currently in Bewdley's garage:
2006 Laguna Sport Tourer Initiale 2.0L Turbo Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome