Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Looking at a 57 plate MK 3 Lag

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 16th April 2010
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Re: Looking at a 57 plate MK 3 Lag

The FAP (if it has one) may need replacing at around the 100K mark, though I don't think the 2.0 dCi 130 models had the FAP (I could be wrong.) I'm pretty sure it's the 1.9dCi 130 (never used on the Laguna III) and some of the 2.0dCi 150 engines that have it.

The 2.0 donk has had around 5 years to prove itself, and if it was going to be as much of a dog as the 1.9, I'm sure we'd know about it by now. Considering that it's one of the mainstream engines, there's a surprising lack of complaints and queries on here. Perhaps much of this can be attributed to the fact that the engine was a joint project with Nissan. I suspect that Nissan had a greater influence on the design than Renault.

As for the rest of it: Nothing's gone wrong on mine yet, but then I've had it less than a week, and it's only done about 130 miles. I expect the grilleless bonnet design to chip to hell, thanks to the large, almost vertical surface area that it presents for stones, but at 70K, the car will already be showing signs of that if it's going to happen.

Renault have put their money where their mouth is on this model. I think (again I could be wrong) that the 100K mileage limit is unprecedented in the rest of the Renault range. Again, I suspect more Nissan influence than they're prepared to let on, but it's distinctively Renault inside, as demonstrated by the number of gadgets they throw in to keep you amused.

I don't think you're any more likely to regret it than if you bought any other Euro box. But of course I don't have a crystal ball.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome