Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #973 of (permalink) Old 19th April 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Originally Posted by fireball scenic View Post
Brigatti as you mention - VOSA are a waste of space. The fact that they allow the vehicle manufacturers to carry out their own investigation is testiment to that. Plus they really do not like making waves and are fairly limp-wristed in their approach doesn't help.

The only reason I got anywhere with the whole Scenic door mirror switch recall (sorry Quality Campaign) is that it was a part fitted inside the door with no user servicable parts and not mentioned in any service schedule. I am still being contacted by Scenic owners who's cars are bursting into flames and taking other cars / property with them. Thankfully nobody has been killed yet.

I hope you can get somewhere but it doesn't look great does it?
On a slightly different note, you might see some resonance to the following point:

I did try to take a retailer to the Small Claims court was cough, cough...Paul Simons... for "allegedly" (just to cover my tush!) delivering my parent's a bed with bedbugs. We went all the way to a court aiming to rip to shreds the performance that they called an "investigation", namely doing nothing.

The judge simply stated we had to PROVE that the bed was delivered with bed bugs...hang on, you don't sleep in a bed until it's assembled. It was only a a few weeks that we noted that something was wrong, i.e. my mother was getting bitten all over!

Irrespective of this and a report which indicated bedbugs existed, the judge simply stated that without proof of the bed at point of delivery was infected, there was nothing he could do...and gave us 28 days adjournment to consider our legal position!

Oh the judge admitted that the "law is an ass" from ****en's famous novel! So true!

The point I am making is that EVEN if someone took Renault to court, there would be using this simply context of the (UK) law to their advantage and worm their way out of this. Even if we had a report that showed the mechanism was faulty, Renault would simply state it was "OUR FAULT" (ring any bells??). It all makes sense why these manufactures/retailers etc choose the denial route, because they can hide behind the law and can seemingly get away with it.

Our consumer laws are shoddy is this Country. Lets look at it another way, in the US, if it weren't for the threat of litigation by a class action lawsuit against Toyota, I don't think they would have done a recall. It was the $$$ that decisioned this. The irony in that case (where the recall WAS issued), is that the same context applied to Renault. The US Congress complained about the delays Toyota "constantly dismissed" the possibility that it was their parts that was causing the problem, when a report was published confirming the issue, that Toyota took took long to link the cause and commencing the recommendations (recall), and that it was too slow in issuing and triggering the recall and contacting customers. Again, ring any bells. Think we can change this to Renault quite easily

EVEN if someone was unfortuate to get injured or worst killed by this "safety defect", it wouldn't surprise me that Renault would still have the attitude to blame the driver/owner - this is my concern! Those that haven't got a voice are too easily the cause of something which isn't are thought!

Wrong, so very wrong!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome