Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #980 of (permalink) Old 22nd April 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

I see your point Philip but surely maintenance schedules and standards are part and parcel of the design remit. Trying to judge a cars safety standards without considering this aspect is not what I would consider good or decent policy and in some ways is negligent.

To make an anology imagine what would happen if an airline maintained its planes to the standard set down by the manufacturer and due to a fault or failure in the manufacturers prescribed maintenance schedule the plane crashed who would be held to blame and responsible. You can be sure the relevant aviation authorites who monitor such ocurrences (substitute VOSA in this case) would take much stronger action and if they failed to do so would themselves be held to be negligent in their duty of care.
In my view VOSA has acted negligently failing in their duty of care to the public who rely on them to ensure road vehicles are up to a decent safety standard.

In my opinion I think the Home Secretary John Reids damning of his department's immigration operation as "not fit for purpose" with "inadequate" leadership and management systems. would apply in this situation.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome