Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The tdc sensor .... or coils?

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 23rd April 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: The tdc sensor .... or coils?

First a quote from the HAYNES Renault Megane 1 manual: "The components of ignition systems are normally very reliable", okay when you have stopped laughing let me say that I have just purchased a Valeo coil from my local autofactor for just under 28 and, apart from me initially misdiagnosing the correct coil , it was easily fitted and the car runs well again. The autofactor guy told me they have sold several makes of pencil coils but none appear to have been totally reliable in Renaults. Because other manufacturers who also initially blamed Sagem for poor components now no longer have the problem he believes it is a Renault engine design problem. The Valeo webpage now claims that the life of its latest pencil coils is expected to rise from an average of 50,000 to 100,000 miles (although it doesn't specifically say in Renaults). One of my replacement "improved" Sagem coils lasted under 15,000 .... I am not convinced that the cost of changing them all is justified when the life of any one of them is so unpredictable so I'll just wait for the next one to go and hope Valeo is better than Sagem!
Currently in LM's garage:
2001 megane 1.4 expression
The Following User Says Thank You to LM For This Useful Post:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome