Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Possibly looking to buy a renault megane CC - Advice needed!

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 24th April 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Haree
Re: Possibly looking to buy a renault megane CC - Advice needed!

The Renault Megane Coupe Cabriolet (CC) is available as an automatic on the 1.6 16v VVT petrol engine, 2.0 16v VVT petrol engine, 1.9 DCI turbo diesel and 2.0 DCI turbo diesel engine (the DCI auto's are available more so on the later megane cc's 06 onward, are rare and have a higher price premium). The main things to look out for is make sure all the electrics work, so try everything out, heater controls, window switches, make sure roof goes up and down etc. On the 1.6 16v VVT a very common failure is the camshaft dephaser pulley can fail and you get a rattle like noise on start up, usually when the engine is cold so if you can try and ask if the car you are looking at cannot be started so you can see if that fault is present on a cold start, although if bad enough will happen when the engine is warm. If you are buying a 1.6 try and get an 06 reg onwards one so at least if it does have the dephaser pulley fault you may get some help from renault. I personally though would avoid the 1.6 as it is underpowered for the megane cc especially with the autobox go for the 2.0 16v VVT petrol auto instead. The autobox is a 4 speed torque converter autobox, pretty certain its a JATCO box with adaptive shift control so it moniters your engine load, speed and driving style changing gear accordingly.The gearbox does have a manual override function so you can hold onto lower gears manually, useful if you are decending a steep hill or when going round winding roads. I would look on auto trader, ebay etc. Can I ask where you are out of interest. The garage I worked at sell low mileage used renaults and do a low rate finance package. They can also arrange delivery. Their website is

Hope this helps.

Currently in Haree's garage:
I don't have a garage just a driveway. The Modus 1.6 16v VVT Dynamique Auto is my Grandparents car which I also drive.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome