Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2002 Scenic rear shocks....part query?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 29th April 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to SamWoerth
Re: 2002 Scenic rear shocks....part query?

Over the years I've had to fit new shockers to numerous vehicles. Last year commencing my journey home from a S.Wales holiday flat, I smashed a shocker on the cart track, even though I drove as usual extremely slowly and carefully down the 120 yards stretch.

Two points - only discovered 180 miles later. When we unloaded the Megane. This Renault shocker on the car has had umerous reports of breakage, but a cup at the top of the shaft (unlike most shocker designs!) -Does hold top of the broken shaft captive - As long as you are a reasonable driver.

Now to the main alert:- Usually I had just jacked up the back end, unscrewed the failed shocker, bolted on the new one. Naturally then replaced the other side,to ensure both sides of the suspension are equal. Then
tested the ride and finally got on with enjoying travel.

BUT on reading the Hayne manual I discovered there is a special procedure
required when you change the shockers on the Megane - Reading through the method, one can reason,
that the 'usual' take off & renew system, could lead to excess wear.
The Megane recommended refit, is simple, but certainly different from other shocker refits.
I suggest you check out for your vehicle before embarking on the refit. If you have already done the job, check the instructions & adjust - It only takes a few minutes to reset the shockers properly.
Currently in SamWoerth's garage:
1.6 Megane Saloon MkII 04 - previous MkI - wrote off- back ended
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome