Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #984 of (permalink) Old 30th April 2010
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

If only the guy who wrote the response could see how the public view his comments. He's in the wrong job - he would make a better spin doctor or used car salesman.

Basically as I see it his organisation has neither the technical abilities nor common sense to address serious safety issues. From what I see he admits his department has neither the will nor powers to deal with what in fact are serious safety issues. If he feels his department doesn't have sufficient powers then why does he not come out and say so. Furthermore the motorists of this country rely on his ability to manage public safety regarding motor vehicles which in my opinion he has miserably failed to do. And in this situation the government minister concerned should either have him removed or give VOSA the correct tools to do their job. That is sufficient technical support and powers to deal with such events. This is where the relevant minister or his minions have failed the public.
In my opinion it seems that governments worldwide pandy to the motor industry and only threats such as massive law suits get them to act. I would say to such governments and departments - money is not the issue but the lives of the public for whom they were elected to serve is what's important.
Whilst the Clio bonnet issue may now be history it has had one good point and that is to expose the failures within an organistaion that has a public duty to protect the public. Similarly if we consider how some council childcare departments have failed in their public duties and been well and truly exposed as being "not fit for purpose" then I personally believe VOSA should be treated in exactly the same fashion. Sadly in these situations it normally takes some poor soul to lose their life before remedial actions is taken.

The safety catch was designed and accepted as maintainance free then obviously as it didn't come up to that standard then it is blatantly a manufacturing or design error and thus fairly falls within the remit of his organisation. Is he so blind that he can't see that. On the other hand there's none so blind that do not wish to see.

Keep up the good work Brigatti - I await the next thrilling installment.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome