Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #986 of (permalink) Old 1st May 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Originally Posted by rampantreaper View Post
i have a clio 172 mk2, never maintained the bonnet catch, but always check once ive closed the bonnet it is actually closed like i would with any car bonnet. i agree with vosa and renault. its down to the owner to make sure the catch is maintained unless serviced by a dealer.
common sense says to check its properly closed. stop moaning!
Appreciate your views and opinions. But again, unless you experience the incident I don't think you will quite understand why we have a reacted like this.

If we had all know that we should check this, like checking the tyre pressure and oil , you know what we would have done.

You hit the nail on the head though, we all assumed it was checked by Renault during servicing, my vehicle had gone in for serivce about 6 weeks prior. So this ultimately was why I complained. Oh that and the fact one would have assumed that the safety cath would have not been able to fail in such a manner.

Another point. Did you know this part was designed and manufactured as "maintenance-free". This means you didn't need to check it (hence why no one did during servicing (at a Renault dealer).

So these are the points we are "moaning" about.

If you experience something which could have killed you, or those around you or in your vehicle - and more importantly, could have been prevented, means that the principles of the complaint to Renault and VOSA stand. They bungled their investigation and accused us if causing the incident. Hmmm....

Appreciate your views though.

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome