Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #987 of (permalink) Old 1st May 2010
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Originally Posted by rampantreaper View Post
i have a clio 172 mk2, never maintained the bonnet catch, but always check once ive closed the bonnet it is actually closed like i would with any car bonnet. i agree with vosa and renault. its down to the owner to make sure the catch is maintained unless serviced by a dealer.
common sense says to check its properly closed. stop moaning!
So, according to you, closing a car bonnet is a scientific exercise that needs care and attention? How many people is it now that this has happened to? And how come most of these incidents have happened to Renault Clio owners? Isn't the Clio 172 mk2 a front-hinged bonnet BTW?

When a device is rendered vulnerable because of poor materials, they are asking for trouble. Since when does plastic make a good machined carrier? It may be good enough for kids' toys but I draw the line when you give me a safety device that is vulnerable to heat and dirt.

As you sound competent, try checking what happens to the travel on the device (the T puller) when slightly out of alignment, and consider how easily it can go out of alignment. I remember these plastics on the Chrysler Horizon of 1970 something.

Are you sure you don't work for VOSA or Renault?

Reaper, your 21st Feb post opines that mechanical things are less likely to go wrong than people are; consider all those whose turbo failed prematurely and were charged essential limbs for repairs because they didn't speak up; then compare that with the ones who spoke up and got refunded by Ren UK on the Yellow OTS. I think you will then agree that manufacturers do sell some shoddy stuff and nobody gets redress unless they are prepared to argue their point and not be put off by the rehearsed crap they give you when you first call them to complain.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome