Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #53 of (permalink) Old 1st May 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Re: Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

Like you I have a 1998 Scenic. Last April myself and a mate gave it a service. Changed the Cam belt and tensioner, oil & oil filter, air filter, plugs, etc. The Scenic was running a bit uneven prior to this. After the service it was running a lot better. However after about 3 weeks or so there developed a very nasty squealing noise. Like most people I thought one of the auxilary belts was a bit loose so I tightened them up and for a little while it stopped squealing. The squeal returned again a couple of days later. I sprayed the belts tghinking there was possibly some dirt or oily substance had got to the belts and pulleys. I thought eventually it will settle and the squel will disappear. This has not been the case. So today I renewed both Alternator and P.A.S. belts. Started the engine a couple of times and great, no nasty squealing!! After driving it for about 10 miles the squeal returns with a vengeance! Everytime I slowed down the belt/s would squeal. It was not doing that before. Now it was squealing on start up and on slowing down. I wondered if you had any ideas on what could bed the cause of this. I have run the engine without the pas belt and still get squeal. Have also done same without Alt belt and get no squeal. Do you know if it is a common fault with the bearings to squeal on the alternator phase1 Scenics? Any help would be of help at the moment. Hope yours is still running sweet?
Cheers from Steve
Currently in SteveAnn52's garage:
1998 Renault Scenic 1.6RT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome